Golf is a social game and includes an acceptable level of drinking and eating. One tradition is grabbing a bite to eat at the turn on your way to the 10th tee. In the old days, this might include a sit down for a ham sandwich with Grey Poupon and a high ball. Now a days, Ready Golf has turned the Turn into a fly by of a grab and go meal that is consumed bouncing down the 10th fairway. Let’s talk about what makes a good “meal” at the turn.
The Turn Meal Characteristics
There are several factors that determine a good bite at the turn. Clubhouses can’t get too cute. Here are the characteristics that make a good meal:
- Quick: Time is ticking to the 10th tee. In and out in two minutes. Gone are the days of a leisurely meal reviewing the front 9 and upping wagers for the back 9.
- Clean: I don’t want me grips greased up from condiments or sauces going down my arms.
- Well proportioned: One golfer told me about a course that offered the best sausage and peppers sandwich but it was too big. Clubhouse don’t need to supersize their sandwiches. Keep it simple.
- Mobile: The meal should not need utensils. I give waivers to salads since you only need a fork. If the meal requires a knife, it is a failure.
Top Turn Meals:
- Hot dog and a beer: Nothing better than a well done hot dog with the fixing and a cold cup of liquid swing coach. An all American meal which makes it great like being a baseball game.
- Grilled burger: When I played Architects Golf Club, they had a grill outside the clubhouse cooking burgers. The service was quick and we were on our way in no time.
- Cold sandwich: Sometimes with the summer heat, a nice cold turkey sandwich hits the spot. The best part is they are not messy like a good burger or overfilled hotdog.
- Granola bar: There are those who are healthy conscience or don’t want to play the back nine with a stuffed belly.
- Frozen candy bar: On a hot summer day, the crunch and crack of a frozen Snickers, it music to my ears. (I know all dentist just cringed). The cold bar of sugar is just the kick to the heart I need to hit the back 9 running.
What is your favorite meal to grab at the turn? What course you played offered the best food?